AUSTIN, March, 2018 – You finally did it. You started an LLC. Maybe you even completed some work and lined up a few clients or prospects. So, now what? There are some steps you can do yourself or hire a lawyer at KCB Law Firm to assist you. Kiester Ciccone Bollier LLC has helped thousands of Central Texas clients start their business and advance to the next level.
If you prefer to do it yourself, follow these steps for a healthy small business that is structured for long-term success.
- Permanent address: Your business will need a physical address, whether it is a traditional office or your home. The IRS, Texas Secretary of State, your bank, and even some online advertising platforms require a physical permanent address, not just a post office box.
- EIN (employee identification number): To set up an EIN, go to this IRS web page. When selecting the type of entity, choose LLC. This should only take 15-30 minutes.
- Bank account: Choose a bank for your business and set up a business account. You will need your signed Certificate of Formation (do that here on the Texas Secretary of State website), corporate documents, and your EIN number. Some banks allow you to email the documents, others require you to bring a hard copy. A one-hour bank visit might be necessary to process paperwork. Some banks require an initial deposit.
- Insurance (optional, but recommended): At the very least, get a liability insurance policy for protection against lawsuits and other claims. Depending on your type of business, you may have greater insurance needs.
- Hire an accountant (optional, but recommended): You can manage your own finances, if you know how. We recommend hiring an accountant. A good accountant will save you a lot of money over the long term.
“Our experienced clients are able to complete their new small business paperwork themselves, but they hire us because it’s faster, easier, and less likely to contain omissions or errors,” says Kirt Kiester, civil law attorney and partner at Kiester Ciccone Bollier LLC. “We also get newcomers who aren’t yet ready to hire an attorney – they’re in the do-it-yourself phase of starting a business. They often need a little guidance to know the next steps, like those listed above.”
KCB’s legal team has extensive experience litigating and negotiating issues in all civil law matters in Austin and throughout Central Texas, including construction, business, real estate, estate planning and probate, arbitration, and mediation.
About Kiester Ciccone Bollier LLP – KCB Law Firm
Since 1990, KCB has earned the trust of thousands in Central Texas through their unwavering commitment to be client advocates. Garnered by decades of expertise, the KCB team is dedicated to the details of every client’s family and civil legal matters, and will fight to achieve the best possible result. Learn more about the firm, including its community involvement, at KCBlawfirm.com.